Well, it's only 3 pics but it was 6 drawings since I redid several (which I learned a lot from!) I think version2 of pic1 is way better, pic2 is too thin and wrinkly but it's the best of the 3 tries, and (surprisingly) I'm kind of ok with pic3. Will do more...
I put this off because I really didn't want to measure, especially on a portrait. Which is why I didn't make it in time for the deadline. Positioning things with shapes, big to small, did help. Even so, there was a lot of erasing and moving things around - took a lot longer than an hour. ;) Pretty sure the face is too long/narrow - will try the overlay check tomorrow.
After multiple failed attempts, I think I'm finally starting to understand. The live stream video demo of the monkey helped tremendously. These aren't great, and the line quality (particularly on the buffalo) is not good. However, they are the closest so far. I'll post more if I get any further.
I used sketches by Glen Keane. I got very distracted by my proportion mistakes, and I wasn't able to keep it loose with a focus on line quality/weight - particularly on the drawing of the growing kids. I did way, way too much erasing/re-drawing on the growing kids, and it shows in the lines. That said, I think this was a great exercise, and I have a much better appreciation for how beautiful (and difficult!) his "simple" line work is!
First is line weight by importance, and second is by shadow/light. I think I'm not getting the darks dark/strong enough, but I've messed up enough drawings now by ending up with everything too dark that I'm going to stop here. (I lightly traced the original line drawing, and then went over my tracings to get lines darker/thicker.)
Well, this isn't from imagination but it is sketching an animal (cheetah) trying to practice loose lines as well as line quality (from subsequent lessons). Having troubles with proportions and veering into scratchiness, but can see improvement so posting these. Any feedback welcome. :)
(Moved this post from the critique video to here because I just realized this was an "assignments" tab.) These are pre-demo/critique and post-demo/critique attempts. Pre-demos were done like the CSI project - oops! After the demo/critique, I tried to redo them looser, more gestural, and building upon initial light/searching lines. I think overall the 2nd attempts are more sketch-like, although you can´t see much difference for the VR-girl #2 because I tried to clean smudges on that one and accidentally took off much of the initial light line work. I guess I need to start leaving the smudges alone.
Finally caught up! Pre-demo level1. I boxed in areas first to help with proportions, although I still had to move a few things anyway. Dunno if erasing was allowed, but I did. Glancing now at the demo images, I think I wasn't loose enough and I have too many contours. Any feedback welcome!
Tapered lines, and then tried to use tapered lines for some of the images in the video. I have a bad tendency to go back&forth instead of a single tapered line. I also tend to forget proportions when focusing on the tapering - probably need to box out the spaces first, even when doing tapered sketching. Anyway, the grandpa duck in the center isn't too bad.
Before and after demo. Although "after demo" doesn't really describe it. More like "after demo 10x" -- stopped between each shade to compare mine to the demo and fix (multiple times) prior to proceeding. The lightest shade doesn't seem to show on these uploaded thumbnails, but it is there on the paper. Very hard for me to see which parts are which shades, especially light-shadow vs. dark-halftone. Definite improvement, though. Feedback welcome! :)