Finally found the time to finish up this assignment. I learned so much about (ghost) crabs, who knew! My final sketch of the happy ghost crab is quite messy, I tried not to fall into refining it but I hope it's readable. The page seemed saturated with graphite from my palm going all over the drawing... Now, onwards and upwards! Fun aside: The Indiana Jones crab pulling the lever was doodled together while I was working on a local multiplayer game with a friend. This assignment actually caused the game to include a lot of crabs! I added the pixelart menu art I made as the last image (yay crabs!) and you can play it here: https://all-in-development.itch.io/hobo-jones-and-the-crab-temple
Finished the level 1 project in one sitting, I like the assignment, and I really loved drawing the VR girl’s chonky legs! 🤩 What do you think I should focus on to improve? As with the skull from the previous lvl 2 assingment, I’m struggling to get nice line weight variation going instinctively while drawing these more organic subjects.
Had a lot of fun here but I noticed (and join a lot of other voices in the comments) that the shoelaces were a lot of work. For the second shoe, I made the mental switch to consider each lace as its own mini CSI exercise, as tension translates nicely to C + I in the lace… The laces also provided a good check on proportions, through which I noticed the shoes were a bit too high. Noticed on the snail that I was lured into trying to render it better with simple shading and so didn’t shade the shoes, but couldn’t resist refining the line weight a bit 😅