Hi Andrew. I'm late for the challenge part, but some feedback would be very much appreciated :). I'm a 3D artist, trying to become character artist :D So for the past two years I've been studying anatomy, and doing some figure drawing along with traditional sculpting attempts. I haven't used any home made tools , because when I got my sculpting tools I just threw away everything I made myself. I tried to work mostly with my fingers, and occasionally use the ones in the photo. Thanks!
Hello Andrew - this is a really question about the website: when I open the My Classroom link the dashboard window opens and the message in the block below My Profile says that I have not added any courses to My Classroom. This concerns me since I have purchased your figure sculpting fundamentals course. A glitch, or am I missing something? Will appreciate your reply. Thank you.
Hi all, I'd never heard of Hale before, so this system was new to me. I like Andrews approach, one wire, one cut, potential to do from memory. I made plenty of errors along the way, and like to mix things up trying little tweaks each time... So far I have 17 armature test bodies, most are 5 inches tall, the biggest is 7. I wanted to save on wire for when I'd gotten the hang of this method :) #1 First try, over cranked it, knee snapped. #2 Excess spine length, something went wrong looks dodgy. #3 Tried thin steel (basic garden wire), ok bit flimsy at less than 1mm thickness for 5 inch figure. Messed up the arms, too short. #4 Tried something different, more cuts, too fussy, fail. #5 1mm steel garden wire, stiff to bend but do-able. Experimented with the idea of a support bar. Ended up being 3 pieces of wire and needed a bit of tape. It is strong and would work ok. #6 2mm Alu' wire, this one is built like a tank! Over kill for 5 inch scale! #7 Tried a simple technique with just wrapping in the middle. It's fast and flimsy, and I also managed to get the measurement way off, doh! #8 Raced along in real time with Andrew's video and just about kept up yay, but, I managed to mess up the measurements again. #9 It dawned on me the diagram I drew to help me, ur...wasn't helping because it was wrong. I corrected it, and finally it clicked, feels like I 'got it'. #10 The excess on the wire roll was driving me nuts so I tried to figure out what length I need to cut a work piece off. On this one I started with x7 total heights worth of wire and ended up a bit short. (Later I settle on x10 and have plenty to work with.) #11 On this try I ran short on wire again but the build went quick, 9mins. #12 Angled 'up' pelvis to help correct a long spine. #13 I tried a wider shoulder (heroic look?), got this a bit overdone. Messed up the left foot, has messy head loop. Took 13mins. #14 Adjusted my diagram again. Turned out nice. #15 x10 total height lengths of wire measured and cut off as working piece. Straight spine. Took 11.5 mins, had some wire left over (which is fine). #16 7 inch, the biggest yet. Thicker wire took longer to bend and more area to cover. Build time 17 mins. #17 Small 2 inch tall scale, this is green 'floral wire'. I messed up the order but think I saved it, the wire length was stock pre-cut and ended a bit short of making it back to the head. I've now just watch Andrew's second armature video and will try again, this time I'll aim for smooth loops on the hands and feet. I hesitate slightly as I've previously preferred to undersize these areas, but I came here to party so I'll go with the flow and trust that Andrew can help me fix it later haha.
Really enjoy this method for building armatures, I love that it’s one continuous piece. Had some left over aluminum from before, wasn’t sure of the gauge tho. I ordered more wired but decided to use all I had to make a few armatures for practice, wanted to do more than one size as well so I’m glad I was able to create so many. Posed a few of the smaller ones with the reference images from the last assignment.
Let me introduce my new friends. They are all 11.5 inches and very flexible! My findings are 1. It was a bit tricky to make them very accurate as I wanted. Errors occurred for any reason, such as measurement, bending, wrapping, and so on. 2. The wire was softer than I thought. Although it was good to handle it, deformation happened while I was wrapping. When I finished wrapping my armatures, they ended up in a surrealistic posture. 3. It was also quite hard to make them stand. I wished I would've made the feet a bit larger (or a little bit wider). I will definitely find more things to improve in the future. I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for giving me such opportunities! 🙂