This Shaman figure was a very hard one to nail. I used a default brush in Procreate to make the head chain instead of making a new brush as Jon suggests. I did all in Procreate and added a photo of my layers. Now off to next assignment :)
This is my assignment. The reference of this demo was too complicated for me, so I took my reference from the medieval painting. I made separate layers for body (plus face), hair in front of the body, hair behind the body, dress, crown, book, smartphone, hands behind the book.
This was a hard assignment. And took some time to complete, but i liked the process and result.
Enjoyed this assignment. Was able to keep to the layer structure until about the final 15-20% then I found it easier to just copy all and merge then do final paint.
I tried that trick you did by coloring the edges of the figure, then selecting the background and then inversing the selection to fill in the inside of the figure but it didn't work. When I used the magic wand it also selected everything inside the figure. Is there anything I did wrong? I don't think I left any opens spaces when I colored in the edges.
I have a lot to say but I'll try to keep it short. Overall though, this painting felt really good. I see countless visual flaws on top of the series of technical mistakes I made along the way but regardless of that, this is the first time I've ever been able to link up so well with my digital tools and that was a great feeling after close to a year of struggling with it. Past that, my goal for this painting was to focus mainly on my rendering, I completely ignored everything else, including composition, which makes the focus point of it a bit fuzzy. I also kept it simple and stuck to the round hard and soft brushes, sparsely using the double sided. I struggled mainly with the semi-transparent glove and even more with the rendering of the metal, which was surprising, I assumed that would be the easy/fun part. I ended up simplifying a lot of those details because they were giving me so much trouble. I would appreciate advice on how to properly approach those. Another issue I had was the amount of time I was enthusiastic to work. Throughout these paintings, I feel like a week of working on it consistently for a couple hours is the most I can give and past that I start trudging through it, dragging my feet. It's not that I don't like painting, it's like the painting itself becomes a bit stale. I'm almost certain that it has to do with the number of mistakes I'm constantly making which makes the painting almost seem like a chore by the end, but I'd love to hear other opinions on this. In the meanwhile, it seems that we have a bit more time so I'll be starting another one but, I feel like this is a good step up from my initial paintings, I would love to hear everyone's thoughts and critique. Till next time, have wonderful day!